Spring is here and with it a bountiful of gifts from the sacred land. I'm specially excited to start planting new seeds, inside and out. Digging in the dirt for wild flowers and nettles in my garden, leaving the window open and receiving all the new offerings that come with the change of season.
Today the Pink Full Moon rises , it is called pink full moon because of the blossoming pink wild flowers at this particular time which symbolize new beginnings. Perfect time to incorporate new rituals and bloom from the inside out.
Here are some of my favorite Beauty Tips for Radical Radiance. These are things that can be easily implemented in your daily rituals at home, with simple ingredients that you mostly will find in your kitchen cabinet. With an exception of a couple must have, amazing staple ingredients that you should always have at hand!
Beauty comes from within. If we give our bodies the right nutrients, enough water, exercise, rest and some loving rituals we can glow from the inside out. These are the most important things to remember when it comes to radiant skin and body:
- H2O - Keeping hydrated is essential to help the skin detoxify as well as reducing the appearance of wrinkles and dry skin. You should be drinking half of your weight in pounds, in ounces of water.
- Omega 3's, Good fats, Vitamin D, Vitamin A and Carotenoids - All of these help in maintaining your skin with moisture, vitality and lubrication. Make sure your diet is full of these things; dark leafy greens, calendula, avocados, cold water fish, nuts, seeds, mushrooms and plenty of sunshine!
- Silica - Strengthens collagen, keratin, elastin and other forms of connective tissue. Horsetail is rich in silica, have it in capsules, infusions or broths. Also, whole grains and seeds such as flax and oats and nettles provide it. Bone broth is a powerful medicine with supportive nutrients for collagen and overall health.
- Vitamin C - Enhances the healing of connective tissue while improving absorption of other nutrients. Think citrus, strawberries, hibiscus flowers, tomatoes and bell peppers.
- Amino Acids - Are the building blocks for protein, these are essential for your skin. You can find it in leafy greens, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, Brazil nuts, spinach, oats, lentils and beans.
Radical Radiance Tips :
1. Cold Water Therapy :
This is a ritual that I've had since I was a teenager and I swear by it. I encourage you if its available, to go bathe in the natural cold springs, fresh waterfalls or even the cold ocean as often as you can. I love going surfing in the winter, It's incredibly rejuvenating!
Otherwise you can adopt this ritual by gently massaging some almond or sesame oil into your skin to facilitate the release of toxins accumulated , and then get in the shower. Finish with a really good cold shower and a patting massage. Trust me this is one of the most powerful anti-aging practices you can implement into your routine.
It not only provides alertness, but it also prevents your skin from being stripped from its natural oils, keeping the pores closed, and keeping the moisture in, meaning shinier, stronger, healthier skin and hair! It increases our immunity as it improves circulation, giving our organs a nice warm love blood massage. Also, it detoxifies the inner organs, reduces wrinkles, fights depression and activates cell renewal.
2. Longevity Smoothie:
This smoothie is packed with everything you need for inner and outer glow. It provides you with a a boost of anti- oxidants, vitamin C, collagen and good fats! As we age our collagen production decreases. Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body, it helps give skin strength, plumpness, smoothness and elasticity as well as supporting joint and bone health, strengthening hair and nails.
- 1 cup of berries ( i use half blueberries half raspberries)
- 1 cup nutmilk ( use your favorite, i used almond for this one)
- 1/2 cup steamed frozen cauliflower
- 1 tbs cacao power
- 2 tbs raw almond butter
- 1 scoop Collagen Powder ( I use vital Proteins)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp rose water
- 2 dates
Blend all ingredients on high. This is a thick creamy smoothie, if you like you can add a little less liquid to make it much thicker into a smoothie bowl, and top it off with granola and fresh fruits and your favorite toppings. I topped mine with it is not too sweet. If you like to add a little sweetener, you can add a little honey or half a banana. Top it off with 1/2 tsp of pistachios, bee pollen, cacao nibs and coconut flakes!
3. Cat Cow :
This is one of the simplest asanas. Many times because of it's simplicity it is easily dismissed and over looked. But this powerful asana increases vitality and resets our glandular system. The glandular system affects our mood, immunity, aging process, metabolism and how we cope with stress. This asana when done repeatedly helps rebuilds body tissue and bring collagen into your face. Do this exercise everyday for 2 to 5 minutes. It's easy, quick and you can almost do it anywhere.
1. Sit on fours, hands and knees on the floor.
2. Inhale, arch and puff up your chest towards the sky, lift your head into cow pose.
3. Exhale, curl up your spine pulling your navel towards your spine. Press your hands and knees equally into the earth to curl your spine into cat pose.
4. Repeat for 2-5 minutes. Start slow and pick up the pace as you feel more comfortable, increasing the energy and the flexibility of your spine. Move with the rhythm of your breath.
5. Finish and rest in child's pose. Observe.
4. Vibrancy Infusion :
Creating nutritive herbal infusions is a great way to support health with our everyday needs. Infusion means to steep, this method is best for delicate parts of the plants such as flowers and leaves. For roots and barks we use other methods like decoctions and tinctures. This collection of nutritive herbs offer potent skin healing properties, they are nourishing, strengthening, circulation enhancing , powerful detoxifiers, anti-inflammatories as well as immune regulators to help you deal with this season allergens.
- 1 tbs burdock root
- 1 tbs oats straw
- 1 tbs nettles
- 1 tsp calendula
- 1 tsp spearmint or peppermint
- 1 tbs horsetail
- 1 tbs goto kula
Place all the herbs into a french press with 1 quart of boiling water. Let is steep for at least 4 hours or over night. Press it firmly to extract as much as you can from the herbs. Enjoy cold or hot! Feel free to add or adjust with what you have at hand and your taste preferences.
5. Teeth Brightening Balm:
There are too many toxic ingredients in conventional toothpastes. It is very simple to make your own, you only need two ingredients and I promise you after a week of brushing your teeth with this mix your teeth will look radically whiter. The only two ingredients you will need are: coconut oil and baking soda. Coconut oil is an antibacterial, anti fungal and antimicrobial and baking soda is a mild abrasive that helps whiten your teeth and well as cleaning them. Try it for a week and let me know how your teeth look!
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 2 tablespoons Baking Soda
- 10 drops of Peppermint oil (optional)
- Mix the ingredients in a small container until it forms a paste. Add some drops of oil if desired for flavor and aroma.